a father's love

December 17, 2012

I'm sure that pretty much everyone has been informed of the heartbreaking events that took place in Newtown, CT on Friday. I first learned about it while coming into the break room at work early Friday morning. Immediately, my heart started tugging inside my chest and the tears started to form, just as they have with each article I read and each news segment I watch. All I can keep thinking is that it's just too much. I'm not even sure why it has hit me so hard. Obviously, I don't have any children of my own, but I do have some very special kids in my life. I just cannot imagine what it would be like losing their youthful innocence and love that always brightens my day.

I was also scheduled to give the sermon at church on Sunday. It was the third Sunday of Advent (love), and the theme was "God is Among You." I really don't think there is a more difficult topic to confront than that one in light of circumstances where it seems there is absolutely no good, but I did my best. (and hopefully I'll post it on this blog in the next few days)

Today, I came across this video on one of my favorite blogs, Rockstar Diaries. This father's words are perfect in so many ways, both in conveying his endless love for his daughter and encouraging the right (but difficult) feelings inside of everyone, both near and afar, who have been affected by the tragedy:

"Let it not turn into something that defines us, but something that inspires us to be better, more compassionate, and more humble people. Let us please keep the sentiments of love that we feel for our families and the compassion that we feel for others, even complete strangers, and keep them with us at all times, not just in times of sorrow and tragedy."


In a world where sometimes nothing makes sense, a father's love does. Thank you, Mr. Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment