Confessions of a DC Summer

July 17, 2013

   

Remember when summer was a time for sleeping in, pining after a Razor scooter (blue, obviously), endless trips down the water slide at the city pool, and ignoring your mother's constant request that you do something productive with your time and clean your room?

Now I'm having to make do with finding fun in sitting in my swivel chair at my indoor job for adults ( no scooter enthusiasts here ) and actually not having time to clean my room. Well, ok, I probably have time, but I need time for mind-numbing activities too, like browsing Facebook where an increasing number of my friends are posting pictures of rings, wedding dresses, and little people. (Lions and tigers and bears? Ok, just kidding. )

Last night, my housemates and I had to deal with a uniquely adult situation - our basement flooded due to old architecture and an incompetent washing machine. Although sweeping the inch-deep water towards the one tiny drain in the corner may seem like a child's dream, it's infinitely ruined by the realization that you still have to leave for work at 5 am because even the bus drivers don't get up early enough to take you to your 6 am job.

So, summer in the District isn't everything I dreamed it would be. ( Does it really get this hot in the Midwest?! ) I still need to find a placement that fulfills the expectations of my required religious studies internship ( when I really want to just do web publication and read and discuss religion ) and my frustratingly vague advisor. I also need to figure out a way to not show up at work like a sweaty mess because it's already 90 degrees out at 6 am.

But, I have had many, many wonderful moments this summer, and I'm way behind at sharing them. Summer has always meant adventure. This one is just a journey of a different sort. Hopefully I'll have the time to elaborate soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Emma!

    I'm not sure how often you update your blog (seeing as this post was over a month ago, I'm assuming not often...) but I just wanted to tell you that I miss you a TON.

    I noticed on your list of things to do this year you want to catch up with an old friend via telephone. I don't much like talking on the phone myself, but if you haven't made a call to fulfill that "just because" we can chat for a while?

    I love you. Stay true.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete