21 by 22

February 13, 2013

/// from my instagram
I've been 21 for 21 days now! ( How odd is that? Totally didn't plan it. ) By now, I'm a seasoned pro at being a real adult and stuff. I pretty much know a thing or two about everything.

Just kidding. I know nothing. I even admitted the other day that I cringe at the thought of calling myself a "young adult." I feel no different from when I was 10. Gosh, my 40s and 50s are going to be fun. ( And 60s and 70s... I can't even comprehend that right now. )

In the effort to grow a little this year, I've made a list of 21 things to accomplish by the time I turn 22. That's what grown-ups do right? Make plans and better themselves? I figured it was worth a try.

  1. Read a whole book just for fun. ( This is extremely sad, I know. )
  2. Travel somewhere that I've never been to. Extra points for more than one place. Double points for another country. ( Himo, Tanzania; Williamsburg, VA; Cherokee, NC; Deer Park Campground in New Hope, PA; York, PA )
  3. Keep or raise my GPA. ( Nerd alert. )
  4. Blog at least 4 times a week. That seems pretty doable. Starting now.
  5. Save more money than I spend.
  6. Lose 10 lbs. ( Really, I just want to be healthier, but I'm a numbers kind of gal. )
  7. Make a real, professional-looking portfolio featuring my writing, photography & design.
  8. Get an internship.
  9. Go to a concert.
  10. Learn to snowboard. ( Surfing would work too, but let's be real, guys. )
  11. Finish a whole TV series. I am currently working my way through 6 shows, and I really, really want to finish them so I can start watching Mad Men. Word on the street says it's good or something.
  12. Watch 4th of July fireworks in DC. If all goes according to plan ( or ideal, or dream ), I'll be here for the summer! ( See item #8. )
  13. See President Obama. I WILL NOT GIVE UP.
  14. Watch my little sister graduate high school! I may need emotional support for that one.
  15. Send a card just because.
  16. Make a call just because. I really dislike talking on the phone. I want phone calls to be over with almost as soon as I start talking. But I chose to move this far away from family and friends that are still very dear to me. Spending some un-rushed time on a conversation with those far away would do me some good.
  17. Make a displayable art piece. I like to get creative, but rarely do I make the time for it.
  18. Finish a paper more than 24 hours before it's due. ( This is my idea of aiming high. )
  19. Try a new food. Vegetarian, of course. Bonus point if I cook it myself. Double points if I can get someone else to eat what I've cooked.
  20. Pray every day. 
  21. Make new friends! ( ...but keep the old. One is silver, and the other's gold. ) ( Deo, Peter, Nina, Kathryn, Kaylee, Gayatri, Corinne )

Maybe after accomplishing all these things I'll feel more ready to turn another year older next year. Unlikely. Twenty-two is halfway to forty-four, and I just had to check how to spell forty. ( Why drop the u?! ) Someday I'll have everything figured out. Good thing I plan on living to be 150. ( and still young, dude! )

Now I'm quoting Finding Nemo, as per usual. There's no hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment