goodbye

November 19, 2012

New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings. / Lao Tzu

Here's the thing: even after all these months, I still cannot believe that as I write this I am sitting in Durban, South Africa. I am sitting what seems like an impossible number of miles from my home and the only way of life I'd ever known. Until now. 

When I was first looking into studying abroad, I knew I wanted to come to South Africa. I'm not even sure why, but I never considered anywhere else. I researched the differences between UCT and UKZN, and even though I really wanted to go to Cape Town, I decided Durban was best for my studies. As I ran around DC completing tasks for my application (just before the deadline, of course), I never could have imagined just how amazing my experience would be. What a beautiful feeling having absolutely no regret is.

The first week that I was here was extremely hard, I won't lie to you. I spent the first two nights wondering why in the world I had left and if this had been the right decision at all. That feeling slowly disappeared as I walked into Shepstone to meet other students who had made the same decision I had. Although we came from different places and spoke with funny accents, we had all arrived here at the same time. We pretty much had no choice but to become friends, and they were the best group of people I could have ever asked for.

If there's one thing I've learned from my experience here, it's that I can get attached to things far too quickly. But really, how could I not? I've been met with nothing but acceptance and love from everyone I've met here in Durban. For four months, I never had the feeling that I didn't belong. That's not a common sentiment for me. I have a habit of second guessing myself. But that voice was quiet for my entire stay here, and for that, I have no words to adequately express my gratitude.

They say that studying abroad changes you. I can't say that I will be a different person when I pull into the driveway at home, but I can say that I will forever interact with the world differently. I'll see the potential for friendship in every person that I meet. I'll try to be more aware of what's going on in parts of the world that aren't reported on CNN. I'll give more of what I have because of everything that's been given to me here. 

I can't thank you enough South Africa. I'm leaving with a head full of memories, a heart full of love, and a life full of blessings. Until the next time we meet...

All my love,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment