a week of thanks

November 26, 2012

There's no doubt in my mind what I'm thankful for this year. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to live halfway around the world and meet awesome people that I never would have otherwise. Also, I'm blessed to have an irreplaceable family and beautiful friends who have supported my (sometimes crazy) dreams all along and are always there to welcome me back. The holiday season is always humbling for me, as I get a chance to step away from my otherwise scattered life into the calm of my midwestern home and truly see all that has been given to me. What more could a girl want?

Our Thanksgiving was much the same as it always is this year. Mom exercised her amazing cooking skills and for the second year in a row made sure that everything on the table was vegetarian-friendly, besides the turkey, of course. She is awesome. Ryan came up from Lamoni and a couple of ladies from church joined us around our table. We ate and laughed and ate some more, thankful for the chance to share together.
The highlight of the day would have to be the pie though. We had French silk, pumpkin, berry, and (my absolute favorite) apple cranberry. You really haven't lived until you've tried my mom's recipe  It's not mine to give out though, so talk to her. We sat around and watched football all day, occasionally making trips back to the kitchen for more sweets. Boy, were all those calories worth it. 
Ryan and I made a trip to Logan on Friday to see his family, and then we continued down to Omaha for some Black Friday shopping. Although some stores didn't have enough room for me to breathe, I still got some good deals and enjoyed the general feeling of excitement about the upcoming season. 

On our way back up I-29 we saw this beautiful sunset. Oh, there's nothing better than a sunset in the midwest is there? If you haven't you should really come here and try it out. You just might wonder why you ever left. I speak from experience.
What a way to end a week full of joy and blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment